Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Unhappy in new job
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnous View Post
Wow not sure where u came to the conclusion about the summary. It's not what I have meant. Anyway, thanks for the comments.
Honestly this is what it comes across to me as well. Most of your complaints so far are all very trivial matters and seem more like you have unrealistic expectation than any real problem with the company.

Take a look at the list of your complaints so far yourself:

1. Boss too inflexible, want you to be punctual for work
2. Boss warns you not to play office politics
3. Having lunch by yourself
4. Colleagues remarking why you go off early everyday
5. Quiet environment
6. Nobody chit chat and talk loudly and informally in office
7. Colleagues feel you are a threat because you are showing them the “right way” (dubious and unverifiable claim)
8. Colleagues unmarried old women so don’t understand your family needs

You try and justify your expectation for “family oriented” company by claiming you are female and have a kid. Excuse me, that about describes most Singapore workers of both sexes. Do you really think if you join some company where your colleagues are married with kids and people will tolerate you coming in late and zipping off early everyday under the pretext of being flexible? Or that somehow everyone will be just hanging around talking loudly during office hours?

As a civil servant in MOE I also offended in how you say that’s why you want to join government sector in education industry because they allow you to do all the things you are now complaining.

I am not a teacher and just a school support staff, though my school provide a bit of flexibility in terms of work hours, they do expect if you come in late you are expected to go off late. Not like what you are doing now, come in on time complain boss not flexible and go off early to catch bus.

Also whenever the need arise once or twice a week, we are expected to work 1-2 hours beyond normal hours either by coming in early or going off late. Office environment is also quiet and everybody just concentrate mind their own business and occasionally someone might pop over to ask some work related stuff or we attend departmental meetings. My school administration office is certainly not noisy where people just hang around making informal talk.

I don’t know where you are getting all these strange ideas about working in the public education sector, maybe you were lucky in your previous job you got a slack/don’t care boss, but please don’t paint all of us as if we are all like you.