Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Unhappy in new job
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2014, 11:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnous View Post
I recently changed job and 1 week into the job my lady boss spoke to me about some pointers and I got a shock about 1 thing which she mentioned. She said that she doesn't want me to bring any backstabbing and politicking to her office. And that she would not hesitate to issue me a warning letter if Im found to have done it.

I'm pretty perturbed because I was just 5 days into the job and I have not spoken anything except some chats during lunch with my new colleagues. After I tried to think back, I'm not sure if my colleagues were offended with what I said over one part. We were just chatting how long I worked in my ex-comp and they in their current jobs. Most have worked over 14 years. (I'm in the education industry) so out of curiosity I asked why didn't they look for jobs? And since they don't have children there's no liabilities. I meant it as a discussion like they were joking it was a 7 year itch for me because I left after having stayed 7 years with my ex-comp. is this a norm? I mean talking to newbies about backstabbing and politicking. And could it be someone carried tales back to the boss? But wouldn't that look like backstabbing too?

Also, I realized Im not really happy in my current job. From where I come from, we were quite flexible and noisy environment. But my current workplace, the boss is quite strict, esp with punctuality and other things and I find that it's very restrictive. And I didn't know the environment is so serious either. I tried to make small talk but it seemed we are unable to click. I'm probably the youngest employee there.

I'm starting to look for a job but I know it looks pretty ugly on my resume that I'm looking for a job just two weeks into a new job. Is it advisable or should I bite and stick to at least 3 months? I'm trying to stay positive but it's pretty demoralizing hearing that from my boss.
Here is what I think. The company that you have joined is a tight-knit family and the boss values her team. A new person comes in to the company and makes him/herself right at home and starts asking provocative questions like,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinnous View Post
I asked why didn't they look for jobs? And since they don't have children there's no liabilities.
I am sure your colleagues would have been feeling like, what is this newcomer doing, asking/encouraging us to leave? I am sure the boss might have casually asked them how the new joiner is doing, and this probably came up.

You can't consider yourself at the same level as your colleagues who have stayed with the company (probably through thick and thin) for 14 years. What they say to the boss won't be regarded as backstabbing as what you said to them. Their words backed by 14 years of loyalty, as compared to your 5 days of service and already thinking of leaving.

If you felt your company is so much better, why leave in the first place? You cannot expect to bring your previous company's culture to your new workplace. No one owes you that, even if you were headhunted which I highly doubt.