Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - can/shall I still ask for more than what I filled in "expected salary" section?
View Single Post
Old 27-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Verified Member

mangos47 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb can/shall I still ask for more than what I filled in "expected salary" section?

Hi fellas,

wanted to hear your opinion or past experience related.

I applied for a position in a statutory board and after 2 rounds of interviews their HR called me saying they are considering to bring me onboard and are working on a package. I expressed my gratitude and excitement over the phone and was told to wait for their official decision.

Now that I think of it, I feel the number I put in my application form is a bit low, for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I applied about 3 months ago, and during these 3 months my current employer actually give me a raise of about 4%.

Secondly, the expected date that I'll be start this new job if I was offered, it'll be somewhere early next year so I'll lose my annual bonus in April, which is usually 3 months, not a small amount. Therefore I think probably I shall ask for a couple hundred more than the number I put in the application form, otherwise I'll be losing income from this job-hopping.

Thirdly, soon after I applied for the position, the hiring team put up an ad for a more senior position in the team with almost identical duty/requirement, except for one that is requiring experience leading a team, which I in fact do have such experience. I did apply for this new position as well but not sure if they are considering me for it. They asked me of project management experience and leadership during interview and I answered positively so I think maybe I shall try negotiate with them to give me that position/title.

With all those thoughts, I'm considering when they give me an offer and if it's about my provided "expected salary", maybe I'll try asking a little more than that and the possibility of giving me the more senior position. But I'd like to hear from you if any of you have successful experience raising your offer, with a statutory board, and especially, raising it to be higher than originally asked for.

A side question is, for technical role, post-graduate qualification, 9 years experience, how much raise from your previous job would you consider to be a comfortable/satisfying offer? I was told by a headhunt 15% is reasonable, but that's last year and from a headhunt so not that reliable. I have excolleague leaving for up to 30% raise but I guess that may not be common as well. So any idea what's the prevailing raise hopping to a new job, for engineering/IT sector?

many thank

Last edited by mangos47; 27-11-2014 at 04:13 PM.