Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil Service Year End Bonus.
View Single Post
Old 27-11-2014, 03:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hope you are not a civil servant. You don't even know who the paymaster is for the CS. Civil servants are paid through taxes paid by the citizenry, and they are there to serve the public. I guess you didn't realize why they were also called public servants? They owe everything to the public.

If the people clamor loud enough, the gahmen will have to reveal the pay packages of the CS like they did in the good old days. On the other hand, private companies earn their income through product & services. If they don't do that well, customers will leave them and they will fold up.

I observed a lot of civil / public servants are forgetting this basic tenet and are very yaya papaya about their jobs. You can see so many of them posting on these kind of forums during office hours. I feel it's time to shake them up.
The paymaster is the government, as elected by the people. Civil servants' paymaster is not the public per se. Anyway, your logic that salaries come from taxes means that the public is the paymaster is stupid to the extreme. I hope YOU are not a civil servant. By your logic anyone who doesn't pay taxes is not entitled to a civil servant's service. The police shouldn't protect tourists if they don't spend a single cent. What about revenue earned by the government that's not derived from taxing the public. The accountability of the civil service to the public is quite different from the notion that they owe their salaries to the public. If you can't grasp such a basic concept, I suggest you stop engaging in any discussion because it's unlikely to be very meaningful to anyone else. Good bye, and good luck in whatever path you choose in life. You will need plenty of it haha.