Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much $ do you give your parents every month?
View Single Post
Old 25-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy

hello ppl, wanna ask for some advice here. related situation to thread, although not rly a bad situation, just wanna streamline some cash so tt i can give more to parents and make better decisions. so just throwing out to ask

my parents bought a whole life policy for me 4 years back. premiums are 32k for a coverage of 100k. they very generously paid 13k of it and this is something i am forever thankful for.

they also passed on the remaining 19k to me and have advised me of the importance of insurance. so i'll have to finish the remaining 19k over the next 6 years myself, which i see as within my ability.

now the thing is i know of the whole cynicism towards WLPs and i also have that cynicism. just that my parents bought it when i was young, so i didnt really have initial control over the buying. i would consider myself financially aware now and above average in investment knowledge so buy-term-invest-rest works better definitely. right now im considering converting it to a paid up, reduced sum-assured. means that i stop paying premiums, the insurance company will scale down their coverage. i will then save this remaining 19k over next 6 years -- this premium saved up, i will then give a larger monthly allowance to my parents, or invest on their behalf.

although if i do this, cash value wise i lose is abt 4k if i cash out the policy.

thing is - do you feel that itd be better to pull the plug, stop the policy and start investing myself? as a new workforce entrant (drawing mid 3k) i foresee that 250 a month can be better spent elsewhere and i want to give back to my parents. but losing the 4k also feels like im wasting their hard earned cash (they consistently paid for me every year) through such a decision, and although less immediate, the symbolic value behind it.

my parents themselves are quite okay with whatever i choose to do, although my father keeps reminding me that by 30 i'll have paid up all premiums -- and that's something quite rare. so i'm at a bit of a loss now, since 6 years to compound 19k can actually make a better return. what wld you do?