Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Dilemma - accept job offer or further studies
View Single Post
Old 17-11-2014, 03:59 PM

stonehallow is on a distinguished road
Default Dilemma - accept job offer or further studies

My current situation: local uni grad (second upper hons), regret choice of degree, employed in a horrible job I dread going to most days

Been job hunting for around 6 months plus, but little luck. So thought of going to do a Masters to open more options for myself and hopefully can enter a field I'm more interested in, as I have little passion for the industry related to my bachelors degree.

But earlier today I received a job offer where the job scope, environment and work-life balance is an improvement from my current job. Quite decent, but it's still something I'd be tolerating rather than enjoying. But now I'm wondering whether I should decline the offer and go study, so that in the long term I have the chance to be more fulfilled. I'm male, so I did NS, not very young anymore, and I think if I want to try a career switch it has to be now.

Though there's the fear that studying Masters, though enjoyable and personally fulfilling to me, might not guarantee a job, and it's a huge time and money investment. Maybe it's better to just take the offer and play safe.

What do you guys think?

ps. Assume I can't work and study as I'm the Masters degree I'm considering is at an overseas university, also I'm not rushing to get married or buy house/car or anything like that...