Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Fresh grad no internship experience
View Single Post
Old 17-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Unregistered

interesting read...

I have been looking for a summer internship and I finally received an offer from a sovereign wealth fund from Singapore, after going through 12 interviews and 10+ online tests. There are a few points I would like to share with you.

1. You should believe in what you are looking for. If it is some job that you don't really want from the bottom of your heart, then let it go. Focus on that area that you are aiming for. But is is always good to go for various interviews if got invited. It can broaden your understanding of different industries and companies. It can also help you practice interview skills and listen to what the interviewer share.

2. You should know every details you wrote in your resume. Always have some typical stories/projects in your pocket. These stories can help you face with different kinds of questions, as long as you twist the angel a little bit. Particularly, the project you describe should demonstrate your ability of THINKING OUT OF THE BOX.

3. When all the candidates are relatively equal, a person with good habit can stand out. For example, I told the interviewer that I helped my boss solve problems that he never thought of and I wrote summary/reflection everyday since my first internship. I always took the initiatives to write a guideline for other new interns and left it as a legacy for the company. I feel these details make me stand out, even though my time availability puts me in a less attractive place.

4. Last but not least, you need to switch off the mind to impress the interviewers. Never HARD SELL. When the manager asked to sell myself within 10 mins, here is what I said:" Today I am not here to sell myself. I am here to have a discussion and seek mutual benefits for both of us. I am trying to find out wether I can be benefited from this internship and you will find out wether I can contribute something to your business. According to your job requirement, I summarise a few points that this position highly demand. First... Second...Third..." You should be authentic with your knowledge, your passion, and your intention. Make the answers short and concise. Do not ramble around, which will make your story sounds flat.

s://.facebook.com/groups/ypgsingapore/permalink/797472396947130/