Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on career as fresh graduate
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Verified Member

flyingpanman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Being here in this job for so long, I realize they never bother posting job ads. They usually ask someone to refer candidates to them or they go to recruitment companies to look for candidates.

Nope, focused only job hunting. And trust me, those 8 months were not easy. It sucked actually. So I can feel your pain.

Honestly though, just ask around for referrals. Come to think of it, I'd have probably asked you to send me your resume and I'll refer u to my boss but you did mech engg, which I don't think would be related to IT at all.
I appreciate your intention to help. Did you ever thought of lowering yourself to like maybe a diploma job or to accept a lower pay just to gain experience first? It is not that easy to do that either too right ?

Well I did have 1-2 referrals but the most they can do is to get you an interview and after that it is on your own, unless you are lucky that you are the only few candidates. After that, I did ask some more but you also know sometimes it's not nice to ask your friends to refer you when they have barely worked there for a month or two unless their companies specifically tell them that they have openings.

The other thing is that for my degree Mechanical Engineering, most of my friends in this field start in the construction or manufacturing industry, and one of them told me there's a lot of difficult people to handle, more than other industries and he honestly don't think it suits my character either. And that is also the main concern which most interviewers had. Also, I don't think I have much interest in this field either and don't think I would be able to go far even if I managed to get a job here (but sometimes can't be too picky at the start).. interest more towards mechatronics n IT , mech engine deals with a bit of mechatronics and electronics, but IT, not really so it would be harder