Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Some questions on office politics and streetsmart-ness
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 11:36 PM

Nik is on a distinguished road

Haha, tks guys.

1) What if my office doesn't have a cleaning lady? Some smaller companies usually either have no cleaning lady (employees clean up around their own area) or hire a part-time lady who usually comes once in a while and doesn't interact much with the people.

2) Regarding the coming on time and leaving on time part, is it a good idea to leave on the dot (or at most, stay back 10 - 15 mins max) when you first join a new company? For some reason, I actually feel guilty leaving on the dot even though by right, there's nothing wrong.
I notice a lot of people tend to stay quite late, not sure if it's to show the boss they're hardworking or just plain out have no life.

I find that the later one stays in the office after the time is up, the later one will end up staying cos' the boss is used to it and your overtime BECOMES your NORMAL WORKING HOURS and the workload also increase instead of decrease! (ie: you stay 10 mins late when you first join, then 2 months late, you stay 30 mins late, then 6 mths later, you stay 1 hr late. Then your working hours come 9 PM to 7.30 PM and if you go back on time which by right is 6 PM, boss starts to make noise) :O

3) Anyone experienced those 40 - 50+ year old auntie-type of colleagues in the office who have a very nasty and fierce personality/temper and like to bully the young employees who just joined the company? Saw a few of these types previously, usually they exist in those companies whose work environment is more traditional chinese type (shipbuilding companies warehousing etc).
Do you guys generally just try to avoid these dinosaurs and try to focus on the work instead?

Tks!
Nik