Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on career as fresh graduate
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Verified Member

flyingpanman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have GPA < 3 for local mechnical engineering degree. Starting pay is pathetic at 2.4k close to 5 years ago. Now is drawing decent salary close to 100k pa.

Just lower ur expectations and work diligently to show ur employer that u are keen to learn and improve.
Quote:
This kind of bullsheet negative post just want to put down people who are not good at taking exams. My degree not even honours and GPA 2.7, now after 7 years making 200k
thanks for the encouragement. I have friends whom have GPA less than me but still managed to find jobs (although it took a while too for them). personally I think that GPA is only important in securing your first job, after that it's all really up to you. But right now I'm losing out both in terms of GPA and other areas, so I guess I have to work harder and improve on those areas.

Quote:
^

Are you in sales/insurance/property? These are jobs with very low barriers to entry, but which pay handsomely if you're aggressive/hardworking enough. I agree with the previous poster that one may find it challenging to gain employment in many graduate positions, if one's grades are not good enough. These days, even a second upper means nothing.
If you're talking about graduate positions like management trainees in organizations like DBS, etc.. then of course grades are very important.. but in SMEs, from the interviewers I have went, some of them told me frankly the grades don't really matter to them, but they want to see something special and unique in that person, and an assurance that they can get the job done