Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on career as fresh graduate
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Verified Member

flyingpanman is on a distinguished road

@froth_lord

Thanks, that is really helpful. You are right, after a few days of researching and asking other people for advice, most people advise me to purse that IT stuff as a hobby rather than trying to make a career out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
below 3 for GPA is really jialat, cannot even get 3rd class honors, think is just pass with honors

if i were you i will just apply any job i can find posted and just pray hard that someone will make offer. u still got time to think about only apply jobs in fields u like har.
Nope, its just pass, not even pass with merit. not exactly fields that I like, just that as long as I don't hate the job completely, its ok with me. So far I have 10 interviews out of around 90 applications (I didn't put that I have honours in my resume nor indicated my GPA there), so I think its still not too bad, except that running out of coys to apply to soon.

But I don't think GPA below 3 is as jialat as you say, I have a few friends GPA below 3 but they managed to find jobs with decent pay for fresh grad (>2.5k), they are of course a little more confident than me but not really that good either.. because when I tried to ask them for advice during interviews, they couldn't tell me much, a lot of the questions I faced they never got asked before

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Start with your own social circle, relatives, friends etc.

Build strong rapport , do not underestimate the power of word of mouth and recommendation. Modern hiring manager do not just hire base on paper cert alone, they hired because they trust that you can perform, which you probably have 3-6months probation period to prove them right, else, you are probably gone.
yea.. connections and word of mouth this day is impt.. I had a fren with 2nd lower honors but couldn't find a job either.. until someone recommended him directly to a MNC company hiring manager and just skipped the HR completely.

so far, I've taken up a temp job which there is chance to get a perm position after the assignment is over, but they told me last time that I was overqualified for the position and they would have to consider.. also looking at taking up internships.

worst comes to worst, I would just take up temp $7-$10/hr jobs which are in abundance and then try to improve myself (in terms of both presentation skills and technical knowledge) during that period of time!

Last edited by flyingpanman; 08-10-2014 at 03:36 PM.