Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Some questions on office politics and streetsmart-ness
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Hi all,

I finally got a job, and before I start working in a month's time or so, I do have a few questions.

1) Do you guys feel really insecure, intimidated, scared and totally uncertain when you join a new company? It's like, you're being thrusted into this wild jungle and you're unsure who's a friend or foe. You feel lost and uncomfortable.
That's exactly what I'm feeling now.
Thinking of it, the current company feels so much more comfortable but then, staying forever here is not an option due to stagnant job scope.
Anyone feels the same? This Fear?

2) Is it true that we should generally not trust anyone fully in the office? Speaking of past experience, for every 10 colleagues, only 1 or 2 at most will be a true friend, the rest are mostly backstabbers and manipulators who wear a very beautiful and cheerful mask that wears down only with the passing of time.

3) Is it true that over a period of time, a company's culture will slowly change with the leaving and joining of old and new staff respectively?

4) Any other advice to give a someone starting work in a new company?
(I've been at this current company for some time now and forgot what it's like to join a new company )

Would love to hear other people's opinions, since I admit I'm not very well-versed in this area and only realized I got manipulated long after the act has been done.

Tks!
Nik
I can identify with point 1. I'm going to start work soon after a good break. I'm feeling some pre-work anxiety now. How long have u been working?