Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - uni dilemma
Thread: uni dilemma
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rename View Post
Hi all, I'm a diploma graduate from ngee ann poly financial informatics with gpa of 3.45 and currently serving ns till june 2015. I'm currently stuck in a dilemma on whether to go overseas to study (Manchester university, Southampton university) or SIM-UOL as my gpa do not meet the cut off for studying finance/econs in the local unis.

Or should i go for computer science/ information systems in the local unis but I've not much interest in it and didn't do well for the programming modules in poly. Also, I'm afraid that there are too much foreign talents coming to do the IT jobs at a cheaper price and I won't have much career progression by then. Is it really worth to go to a local uni but a course that you have a background on but not interest?

[://forums.salary.sg/education-personal-growth/1278-thinking-doing-diploma-degree-read-first.html#.VDNLxPmSxHY[/

Any other options? My main interest is math and statistic. Money wise is not much of a problem but of cos I'd want to spend as little as possible!
The overseas unis which you have mentioned are somewhat considered as tier 2, in terms of reputation. My suggestion would be for you to study at our local universities, even if it's a course which you don't fully like. Avoid the private education route if you can avoid it. The quality of their programmes may not be good and more importantly, the private degrees aren't as recognised as those from local universities. For instance, many top tier MNCs and civil service don't recognise private degrees.