Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why no car? In SG, its constantly depreciating purchase, expensive, and can only be used for 10 years. From a financial point of view, not a good buy. From a necessity point of view, does a couple with no children really need a car? But from a convenience and image point of view, yes having a car has its advantages.
That would be a clearer perspective as opposed to the initial point about image and pressure. Its all about needs vs affordability (just like an iphone really). My first car in SG was a 30K 8 yr Mazda with a crappy gearshift. Still I drove to many places in SG and Msia with fond memories something that I would not do now due to age and commitments. I don't disagree with your point but have a think about where I am coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Property #1 was acquired with parental help. But the other properties 2 and 3, were fully acquired thru the savings from our income (spouse and I), and the savings from not buying a car. Do remember that a few years ago, property was much cheaper than now, no such thing as TDSR or ABSD either. So, its possible.
Great investment approach, mine was similar to yours except I have a mix of commercial / Industrial / residential. This was before the TDSR as well which blew the pricing way out after (goody for me), would be interested to know what you look for in property investment but that would likely piss off the peeps who want to keep this on topic. Probably another thread would be more appropriate like what to invest.