Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 30-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

Default Engineers don't know financial instruments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think not to worry too much as both of you are still young. As you already know, wealth is not everything, but having sufficient wealth is important. So you have to know what that "number" is and aim to make sure you achieved it before you reach retirement age.

To know what that "number" is, you need to know the lifestyle you want to lead in retirement. Do you have or plan to have kids? Let's say you worked out that both of you together needs $80k a year in retirement and you retire at 60, and spend 25 years in retirement, you will need minimally $80k x 25= $2m. I said minimally because I have not factored in inflation.

Engineers are versatile, by virtue of the degree engineering courses and training. I know as I am one. Most engineers will move on to become managers by age 35 and lead big projects and teams. Those staying on in the technical should also progress up the technical skill ladder and earn more.

I am not yet 50, but my net worth is above $5m combined with my wife. So you will get there and retire in comfort. Don't worry.
Engineers don't know the "number" . If they need $80k a year in retirement and they retire at 60, and spend 25 years in retirement, they will need minimum $80k x 25= $2m.

What type of logic? No wonder they have to work till they kick bucket!!!