Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 25-09-2014, 05:18 PM
Unregistered

I am very happy whenever I read that retirees staying in condos are choosing not to own cars. This is because currently my condo car park space is filling up very quickly. Many of my neighbours including us are owning 2 cars. Some families are even getting their 3rd and 4th cars because their children grow up and started working and want to have their own car.

So I hope the in the steady state there will be enough lots for all with retirees giving up their lots while others need more. Unless the MCST members will have big headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your example of a typical condo retired couple is not typical. Many opted for a more modest lifestyle. They no longer drive a car because it is too costly and they don't need it. They either live next to an MRT station or their condo has a shuttle bus service to bring them to the nearest MRT station if they need to travel. They also no longer need a maid as it is not difficult to maintain a two retired persons household. They may also not spend too much on eating out at restaurants.

A more realistic typical condo retired couple has these montly expenses:

Food, and food items and occasional dining out, $1000
Utilities, $250
Medical and health insurance, $700
Holiday, once a year (pro rated), $200
Condo fees (condo assumed to be paid off), $350
Misc, $500
Total, $3000 pm or $36k pa.

So, if they are able to generate a passive income of $36k pa, then they are ok. If they are lucky, their kids will give them monthly allowance of $1000 pm to each of them (assuming 2 kids, each kid give $500 to father and $500 to mother - could be more if they are luckier). They can save these allowances.

To generate $36k pa of passive income is not that difficult. You can get from the CPF Life, your blue chip investments, etc.