Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 24-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Unregistered

I think it is a "jealousy" biased observation that wealth = unhappy family.

There are many factors to why couples quarrel and fight, and usually the lack of money is one of the key causes.

There is something else I observed in high density Singapore that is sad. That there are many instances of family friction coming from retirees staying with their grown up children and their families. It is either the retiree cannot get along with the in-laws or own children. Only recently, two cases have resulted in deaths!

I think best to let your children have their space to bring their own family. Come and help look after the grandchildren when asked, but stay away when they grow up and need their own rooms and space. Absence also makes the heart grows fonder.

Never make the mistake of staying with your children when you retire. If not properly managed, it can destroy relationships and even lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Typical HDB retired couple

Food and groceries for 2, $500
Utilities, $100
Transport, $50
Health insurance, $400
Holiday (pro rated), $100
Misc, $100
Total, $1250 pm or $15k pa

Typical Condo retired couple

Food, groceries, restaurants for 2, $2000
Utilities, $300
Car (assumed no more loan) related expenses, $1000
Maid, $1000
Health insurance, $1000
Holiday (pro rated, twice a year), $1000
Entertainment, $1000
Misc, $1000
Total, $8300 pm or $100k pa

So, moral of the story is - your retirement expenses depend on your desired lifestyle.
As long as you are happy, it does not matter how much you spend.
Happiness is in the heart. I see many old uncles and aunties who are happy despite retiring with little means. I also see rich retired couples arguing or see them with long faces.