Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Calling it quits!
View Single Post
Old 21-08-2014, 12:28 AM
dives

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
Hi Dives, hope you are keeping well!

Just a follow-up to the story. True to his word, the OCBC JB RM braved the traffic at the Causeway and drove down to Singapore to meet me tonight, after only receiving a cold call from me out of the blue this afternoon. He arrived at around 9pm with all the forms for account opening, etc. I duly signed all the forms and passed him some cheques to fund the account.

He also offered me a one-time promo SGD FD for 1 month at OCBC Malaysia at 5%+ pa. I told him I will place the SGD with him for that period after I have decided to do the exchange later, when the cheques clear and when the market is favourable. I also recounted to him, for his benefit, why I am closing my longstanding account with Citi to put him in the right perspective. He left after all the formalities and small talk and I asked him whether he is meeting anyone else. He said that this trip is only for me. Now, that's good service. A hungry banker is a good banker!

Malaysia is an inefficient country with shifting regulations. So, I asked him whether I would need to explain to Bank Negara why I am transferring such a large amount out of Malaysia. He said that as long as I am transferring any amount of money to my own account or to my spouse's account (anywhere in the world), no explanation would be required as long as I do not have any loans outstanding with any financial institutions in Malaysia. My philosophy is to always do it via the cleanest way possible i.e. to transact within the banking system else it may unnecessarily arouse money laundering suspicions and waste everyone's time and effort.

He also said he has a lot of clients who are either Malaysians working and residing in Singapore or Singaporeans who have investments in Malaysia having accounts with him so it's quite usual for him to come over to Singapore to "assist" his clients. Great strategy for OCBC Malaysia. I assured him that, in any case, I will keep some AUM with him since Malaysia will remain one of my investment and holiday destination.

Despite the maturity of the banking industry in Singapore, there is still loads of room for improvement in the level of banking service. My BOS RM was suitably embarrassed as she can't solve this simple issue for me despite them being in the same group. My UBS RM, I don't know what to say.

No matter what our individual circumstances are, every single dollar is important to each banking client and we owe it to ourselves to ensure that we get the appropriate level of efficiencies in our banking services. Entrusting it to our RMs .....nah, they are still way off the mark and complacent. No wonder many are asking "who moved my cheese"!

Take care my friend and keep healthy and happy!
Thanks Whizzard, likewise keep well and healthy too, I would say you're fortunate to find the Malaysian RM on just a random dial, and he was fortunate to get to service you too. Many take their services for granted which is not the case for you.

That said nothing against Singaporean but I always find Malaysian or Indonesian Chinese more driven/hungry for business. I associate that with the harsh environment they grew up in. Even the children of wealthy Indonesian families I know are very driven for business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapooya View Post
Been reading this thread and posts by whizzard and the rest of the rich people here and I feel really lousy and beyond hope.

I am a student, just graduated turning 25 end of this year. My paltry net worth is 70k which is generating only 3k dividend income a year. my whole net worth probably cannot buy the steering wheel of whizzard's porsche.

Any of the gurus here can give me advice? or am i beyond hope???
Don't be silly, one thing to learn is that there will always be someone richer than you, what really matters is if they are willing to impart their knowledge and experience for you to learn. Many say this but if you get the chance do go to countries like Philippines or Indonesia and you will appreciate what you have.

The way I see it you have the greatest wealth of all, you're younger then us "Uncles" here. I would give up half my assets to be 25 again (Can't say all right?) sounds cliche now but when you hit 35 you will miss the energy you had and the things you could have done or should have done. Just don't squander it like I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I used citi private client before in sg. Equally bad. They wanted to charge me 50 basis points for bond trades. Now that is fine if agreed before hand. But the rm dare to call me and ask if can get me 0.4 better, we split the 0.4. Meaning now their comm become 0.7! What rubbish. I also encountered such lousy behavior with real estate agent before.

As for forex, 100 basis is ridiculous. I am pay about 0.1 above for usd. Meaning if trading 1.247, I buy at 1.248. Basically 10 basis points. Using American pb.
Lol sounds like Citiba** nickname of Sh*tyba** is well deserved, I'm never had the chance to encounter but I know people who kanna the destructive wake of their accumulator products. Then again all banks are the same the bigger they are the worse they seem to become.

I'm still on a hunt for a good property agent as well, it will be good to have someone reliable do the legwork when the market goes down and some gems surface.