Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineering - dead end career
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Salary.sg

Default Engineering - dead end career

Read an interesting thread in Sammyboy in delphiforums titled "Engineering: A dead end career in SG". Here are some interesting quotes from that thread:

"Most successful second-career Engineers I know switched line during their 2-3 year of work. Some became Bankers, some went into Sales, some went into IT... The world needs Engineers more than you think. Just not in this little red dot."

"IT ain't much better, most work have been outsourced to vendors... typical IT guy... just dreams of landing a good project management job ... to show that he has arrived, or become an overpaid consultant/architect after getting CISSP/Sun Architect cert. Some lucky ones get a footing in SAP and drift off to become techno functional consultants."

"any industry is bound to face the exact same thing. Lawyers and doctors ... there are some that will not get very far in their career. Consider: some doctors will in the end just be a gp with a touch of contact eczema... Or you end up being a lawyer stuck in a firm in people's park center... Banking only looks good during this bull run. Once the bubble bursts, you'll see many being booted out. Those that cannot make it will find the lack of real technical prowess to be a bugbear."

"well said....engineering in s'pore is a real dead end job...i myself got out of engineering 3yrs ago to be sales(though its engineering sales) & never once look back...."

"Wait till u deal with Accounting trained professionals..then u will realise Engineering isnt that bad after all.."

"After 7 years in industry, if you don't earn at least $100k p.a., you're not successful in your career. So you must be aggressive in job change"

http://www.salary.sg/2007/engineering-dead-end-career/