Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career choice & salary dilemma
View Single Post
Old 13-08-2014, 03:26 PM

Fearoftheunknown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOD View Post
I think all these theoretical talk about how much you should be paid as a degree or diploma is pointless. What you get offered is reality and that for you unfortunately is $1.5k so far into your job search. Postulating on how much you are "supposed" to be paid is pointless and waste of time.

To me whether to accept or not depends on 2 factors:

#1 - How desperate are you? Do you need the money urgently?
#2 - How many interviews do you have so far? Do you need to head down for interviews frequently?

If you are desperate, well you don't really have a choice rite?

If you have been attending interviews frequently then perhaps you should reject as once you take up a full time job it is hard to "disappear" to attend these interviews. You don't want to give up good opportunities because you are stuck in the current job.

However if you haven't been getting much interviews along the way, what's the harm in taking up this job? You can always omit the job you have now and just say you went for a holiday after school if you eventaully go for an interview and worried that it might affect your salary.

At the very least if you still cannot get a job after 6 more months, you have some actual experience and a working salary and I'm sure you will also learn something along the way. The hard part of unemployed is often the pyschological pressure when you everyday sit at home nothing to do just surfing JobsDB and checking handphone for calls. Try to avoid that if possible.
I actually been to a quite a no. of interviews, just that I am either not short-listed to the next round, or not selected at all. I am not exactly a fresh grad either, considering that I graduated in 2012, thus cannot omit the job in the resume and tell future employers I went for holiday. I am simply not sure how long I can go on like this, waiting and waiting. Do you think it's best that I accept the job offer despite the less than favourable pay?