Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career Planning using Analogy of the Road
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 11:10 AM

fusioncat is on a distinguished road
Default Career Planning using Analogy of the Road

Dear all, I like to hear your views if my observation is correct

I believe everyone of us wants to have a good career but this path is not a bed of roses.

I notice all workers are classified as below using road as an analogy, please let me know your thoughts. One key question, why are people who build the road paid less than the people who uses the road?

1) People who build the roads (Operations, back end)
e.g. software developer, infra team, accounting/hr executive, engineers, designers, programmers, nurses, therapist etc.

Work is extremely competitive with high risk of being replaced by younger graduates and outsourcing. Salary and prestige is often low. There is a salary ceiling and age ceiling. These people have low or no say in decision making.

2) People who use the roads (Analyst, researcher, sales and marketing)
These are the people who use the road to meet specific business requirements and objectives.

These people present information to or can influence decision makers.
Salary and prestige are slightly higher and the range from top performer to bottom performer can be a large range. Age and salary ceiling is slightly higher. This people can go almost anywhere.

3) People who manages the roads (policy makers, strategic decision makers, governance, policy makers, management, etc)

These people also design and govern the road that was built. They are also the one who find funding/resources to build the roads. They are key decision makers and manages the previous two roles. Salary and prestige are high. Age and salary ceiling is by far the highest. These people can still lead or manage when they are in their 50s or 60s and annual salary can reach a 6 digit figure.

4) The fourth group plan, build, manages, sell and [B]OWN/B] their road(s).

These are entrepreneurs. These are the people who hire the other 3 groups of people. Salary and prestige (ability to take control of their life) are almost limitless. While life is neither a bed of roses for these people who initially started out, the potential is near infinite if their foundation is correct.

Last edited by fusioncat; 10-08-2014 at 11:14 AM.