Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 10:35 PM
Unregistered

Hijack thread to get some advice, please.
Current Situation (all sgd)
Age late 30s, spouse a few years younger
Annual fixed package 240K +/- excl B
Spouse annual package 20K (part time), but can move close to 50K if terms of employment changes
2 young kids
Humble subsidized apartment fully paid (paid 200K+ many years ago, MTM 600K+). Small Asian car also fully paid, with 8 years of COE to go.
Been prudent & has 2M +/- in liquid assets.

Have been working 10+ years in an industry. Right now, feel a little jaded (politics, state of industry, concern about sustainability re layoffs in mid to late 40s later etc)

Have been approached by a small business setup in which a very close family member has some stake in. The other larger shareholders are friends of this family member, whom I also know. This business has been in operation for 30 years, employing about 40-50 people in Spore and has been profitable. Approached me to join as a member of the senior management as they are getting on with age & need young blood, with an eventual aim of taking the MD role if I excel in the job. This industry is new to me, which is a concern, but they do have some seasoned veterans in the rank & file already.

Directionally keen to join as it is something interesting & potentially refreshing but also feel a pity to completely leave an industry which I have been in for last 10+ years.
Will be interested in views from fellow forum folks re this dilemma I am faced with.