Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Dilemma in choosing my offer, Help!
View Single Post
Old 29-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilhappy View Post
yea, I agree with what you guys say, that there are better positions out there. But because banking positions look for experienced hires and I do not have any experience in the banking industry, hence the reason why I am looking at these opportunities for me to at least step into the banking industry.

From what i know, those without related working experience starts off with a contract based job with the bank, and then from there try to convert to perm position.

So for the 1st tier bank, it allows me to have experience and also look nicer on my CV, open up more interview opportunities after my 4 months contract. At the same time, it allows me to understand if I really like to do backend processing jobs and after 4 months, I can always find another job.

And doing OT is perfectly fine for me as that's the culture of working in a bank. But working during PH and start 6.30am is kind of harsh and might affect my other commitment.
Yours is a typical newbie mentality mistake made by many.

My sense is you are too enamored with the idea of working inside a nice sounding branded bank and fail to understand the banking industry properly and also miss out all sorts of other much better opportunities by narrowing your job hunt to such a narrow field when you are just starting out. Very close minded and short term thinking.

If you are naive enough to think just putting a 4 month stint in UBS doing trade administration is going to brand your cv and help you break into lucrative banking roles, you are in for a rude shock. Also brokerage ops is a very unconventional backoffice function, you are not going to understand back office function just by doing intern odd jobs like that for 4 months.