Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 27-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Unregistered

Hi,

In my opinion, your income is not that low, in fact it is higher than the HH median income in Spore ($95k pa). Your expenses are high because you are supporting yours kids and parents. So, in a few years time, when your kids grow up and your parents pass away, your expenses will be reduced by a big chunk. Assuming your income will grow, albeit slowly, you would be in a better position in the future.

I suggest you hold on to your current job as it sounds like a steady one even though it may not excite you any more. Perhaps you should take up interesting activities in your life so that you don't think too much of your boring job. You can take up sports or join a marathon or take up a hobby such as doing social work. Visit the old folks home and orphanages and you will realize how lucky you are.

The fact that you are staying in a condo is a big achievement in Singapore. Of course you can't compare yourself with the many more successful and multi millionaire gurus in this forum but at least you are better off than 85% of Singaporeans who live in HDB flats.

So, in sum, don't quit your job, don't venture into business and just continue to pay down your mortgage and feed your family. Over time, your expenses will go down and you can then save more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Greetings to Jeff and other gurus in this forum.

I need your advice on my situation and how I can make the best of what I have. My spouse and I are now in our late 40s. We have not achieved much despite being grads. We earn a combined income of only $140k and only live in an old EC. We own an old small car and have 3 wonderful kids.

We don't save much as we have lots of commitments, such as mortgage, car loan, tuition for the kids, parent's allowances, etc. The most we save is $25k pa, sometimes less. Our total net worth in total including our stocks/ cash/ CPF, is only about $1m.

What should I do to earn more so that I can save more? I work in a sector which is mediocre at best and not the high flying sectors. Honestly, there is not much prospect being in my company, but it pays the bills. I feel like resigning and become an entrepreneur but I'm scared of failure and high risk.

What should I do? Age is catching up.