Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 19-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Recently over tea, my colleague was proudly showing off his medical check-up results saying that he was free of any sickness. This sparked off a light hearted debate among us on the issue of whether wealth or health is more important.

We all agreed both wealth and health are important to living well, but which between the two was more important.

Those who said health was more important gave the following argument:
1. With good health, you can get wealth (able to work, no need to spend on medical)
2. With good health, you will be happier

Those who said wealth was more important gave these argument:
1. You can afford good medical care
2. You can retire as and when you like
3. You have more options in life
4. You can pass on your wealth but not your health!

What caught my attention was the last argument that you could pass on your wealth to your loved ones rather than your health.

I found this argument very relevant and persuasive given that no one can really guarantee how long they will live. Just look at the poor passengers that perished in the MH17 flight. I believe many if not all of them were in good health, but that is all not important now. What would be important would be that they leave behind sufficient savings to their loved ones.

So in this respect, I will say that while both health and wealth are important, I will vote for wealth to be more important than health!
You can only pass your limited wealth to your loved ones, but you can teach everybody to learn how to be happy and heathy, be an example to them how to live healthy and happy.