Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Unregistered

In the Straits Times today (5July) Tharman said a crash in property prices will not happen. He said the CM, TDSR, MSR had prevented a bubble from forming, and so crash not likely.

Besides the financial system is flushed with liquidity. Banks are flushed with money, with interests so low it is almost like you have to pay the banks to safekeep your money. US economy is picking up and employment is improving. Our economy is doing quite alright also. So can't see big drop in prices anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If this indeed happens, it will present buying opportunities. But really, a 20% drop in prices is not drastic. If you read the many posts in this thread many brave and astute posters have made huge gains through snapping up properties during the 97/98 AFC, 2003 SARS period, 08/09 sub prime crisis. I would even consider the 08/09 subprime crisis as a minor blip as far as property prices movement here is concerned.

A few of my friends and I were waiting for the mother of all price drop to snap up properties but it didn't happen. The condo I had my eye on dropped by a mere $100k and before I knew it, the subprime crisis blew over, and now the condo is worth $800k more! It was a big big disappointment.

Anyway, since then, my investment war chest has grown quite substantial and I thought I had another chance when the property prices kept going up and up thinking that the bubble was forming and it would burst. But then our gahmen stepped in and removed all the froth.

With all the cooling measures, TDSR, MSR, the gahmen can play around to ease any sharp price movement. Many investors who bought properties after the cooling measures do not take that much loans, so their risk exposure is low, and most would have holding power. It does the gahmen no good to have a depressed property market, bankruptcies, unemployment etc.. What they want is steady and sustainable growth, including property prices because for the majority of Singaporeans, property represents their biggest lifetime investment.

So against this backdrop, I have told myself not wait for a huge price correction, and also at my age, I don't have that many property cycles to wait out. If the prices do indeed drop by 20%, I would probably go in!