Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Unregistered

Anyone staying in a condo is in a way, already "enjoying" the fruits of their labour. They have bought themselves a better lifestyle.

Having said that, just like those who "enjoy life" a little either by going for round the world tour, buying an expensive European car, or a few expensive watches and eating at fine dining restaurants, these people always worry whether they have enough for retirement, especially if they are like this couple with only $2.5m net worth which included their primary residence.

I know exactly how they are feeling. When I was their age, our combined networth was similar to theirs. My and wife decided then to reward ourselves (enjoy life a little) with a better home environment and we upgraded to a condo. Once we got used to that environment, we realised that our savings would not be sufficient to fund our retirement and we certainly don't want to downgrade back to a HDB flat so soon.

So we put our retirement plan on hold and plodded on. At every step of the way, of course, we enjoyed life a little. Every year we continued our tradition of overseas vacation, my wife and I owned a car each, we eat out at restaurants 10 times a month, we have the latest electronic gadgets, etc...

But let me tell you, you can never get rid of the worry of whether you have enough for retirement. And I think it is a good thing in that it shows you are aware and concern. If you don't have such worry, you better be very wealthy because if not, you will be in for a very nasty retirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
2.5 mil net worth with a fully paid condo and you cant retire? Anyway you arent even in your 50s which is still considered rather young. unless you have plenty of other liabilities i wont worry so much if i were you and start to enjoy life a little.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app