Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2014, 12:51 AM
Unregistered

Default What makes me happy

I missed those times when buying things I desired or wanted can make me happy. Now, I don't get the same thrill or happiness when I buy things, not even a new car!

I used to be happy when I can afford the things I wanted. When I first started working, I wanted and dreamt of having my own car. Everyday I would pour over the classified ads for cars. I was quite realistic then, knowing that I could only buy a resale car. After working and saving for 2 full years, I finally bought myself a 5 yr old civic. (At that time, COE was non existent). Was happy and proud as can be.

Buying our matrimonial home with my wife brought mixed feelings of joy and worry. Joy because we were finally getting and owning our own home, and worry because of the long term commitment to the loan. We skipped the HDB route because of the long wait for a new flat at that time.

Now that we have changed homes 4 times, and changed cars 8 times, we sort of lost the excitement of buying a new home or a car or anything for that matter. Currently we own 2 condos and 2 cars. When we got the keys to our investment condo, we didn't feel the excitement anymore. Likewise when we replaced our 10 yr old car with a new one, it was like business as usual. No more fussing over it like a boy receiving a new toy.

I now derive more joy watching my net worth grow than spending money. I think I have lost the reason or purpose of saving money. The purpose we save money and make our savings grow is so that we could spend them to give ourselves a better life and to live happier. Somehow, I lost that. I am now quite obsessed with growing my net worth to the extent of living like a miser. My wife scolded me asking "what's the point of having all that millions if you are not ever going to use them!?"

What is wrong with me?