Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Uni dilemma, please help
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Lol... WHen the 3rd law school is up and running, the situation would definitely get a lot worse.

I do think the MinLaw is going to restrict the number of UK universities, though I don't think they can restrict the Aus Universities due to some free trade agreements. In any case, the number of law students in UK has been rocketing like crazy over the past few years. Its almost as if 50% of people who are studying in the UK are reading law. I definitely think they should restrict it to only OxBridge and the 3 London schools. Seriously, schools like Manchester takes in 40-50 Singaporeans annually. That is probably as big as the SMU JD cohort. The worst thing is that they don't have a min. criteria, anyone who can afford is almost guaranteed a place.
Yes, the numbers are big, but restricting the approved institutions to those you suggested is probably not the best thing to do (on a free market philosophical benchmark...) Competition may be a good thing.

To me, however, the real problem is misinformation. People think that getting into a law school places you on a 'safe' path leading up to a good legal career. They do not have access to the information about what's happening to the supply of lawyers. The result is that many of them, in a few years, will brutally discover that they can't get training contracts. [the alternative being making it harder to get called to the Bar]