Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Ntu sociology degree
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Unregistered

Chanced upon this thread, and really glad because I am stuck in this situation as well.

I've actually got offered NTU Biz, but I am thinking of changing to NTU Soci. But before anyone says this is a stupid decision, let me explain my situation first.

I am actually offered a scholarship with a company and at that point of time, they know I was offered to read Biz. But now I've seek approval to change to soci, and the organisation is cool with that. The reason behind it? I chose biz initially because it seems to be the degree that opens up many doors of opportunities. But now I've got a scholarship in an industry & company that I like, it is somewhat secured employment for me.

Due to that, I am actually thinking of dropping NTU Biz. Firstly, I am extremely bad with numbers. Struggled with stats, econs, accounting when I was doing my diploma. I'm pretty sure it'll be even worse in university. Secondly, my scholarship requires me to maintain a 2nd upper hons, which will be difficult in biz because of modules that I may potentially struggle in. Thirdly, the cohort in Biz is generally much more competitive and people inside (comprising of smart students in JC & poly) makes it harder to score. I've had many friends who did well in poly and went on to NTU Biz, and most of them are struggling to even get a 2nd lower.

I've always shown interest in humanities, and I looked through the modules and description that soci undergrad have to take. Personally, critical thinking & writing is something that I will prefer to do, rather than having to do numbers, math, econs, accounting. Also, friends inside soci have told me that the culture is less intense than in biz school as the competitiveness level is not as high.

If you were in my situation, will you advise me to drop Biz and take a degree in Soci? My bond with the scholarship organisation is 4 years, and it is in the retail industry. After the 4 years, even if I want to change job, it is the experience that matters more than the degree itself right?