Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2014, 10:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You actually believed the story above? If so that poster really has good story telling amd journalistic abilities. Guess the poster is thinking of ways to draft an interesting story to make ot seems like an underdog story that everybody loves. UOL grads doing cf and ib is more difficult than striking toto. The chances of you striking the lottery is higher. Unless he is doing customer service or sales in corporate finance roles. Then that is believeable, dont fall for optimistic or post that gives false hope to aspiring bankers. That would never happen to an average person.

Instead, focus on a realistic option to work towards instead of dreaming being the next "wolf of wall street".
Hi, I was the poster from above. Haven't check back in months. Just wanna check, how do you define customer service or sales in CF? Everyone does a bit of everything. You mean like either like P.A. picking up calls for their bosses or SVP - Director level personnel doing pitching/sales? I was just an analyst - doing all the grunt work like identify targets, deal memos, build valuation model, do presentations, blah blah.. Mostly origination and execution stuff..

I hope I didn't give people false hope with what I wrote. The industry is certainly elitist and hyper competitive. I had certainly seen my fair share of interviewers from big name schools and local unis insulting my intelligence during some interviews - the more junior they are, the more condescending they are. I had lots of down moments too. But I'm definitely not dreaming. Just pointing out to people the possible doors to explore and work towards if they want to do CF.

It's good to be skeptical, but your worldview is not a determinant of how people should live. Ask anyone in the industry for advice, and I don't think theirs will differ too much from mine. While I'll concur with you that getting into a CF and IB FO for SIM-UOL carries roughly the same odds as striking toto, and it will be that case if you just sit on your ass and do nothing about it to get into the industry. If you are sincere about your goals, works towards them and bring the odds in your favor.

You can think whatever you want, I've got nothing to lose. I'm just sharing my thoughts and genuinely want to see my peers in SIM-UOL do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
how much u make per annum doing cf?

in fortune500 coy or iB? share your story pls
My company is a listed co in the resource sector, but it is neither a fortune 500 nor an ib. I'm not earning that much. Just to give you an idea, I had recently took up a corporate advisory offer in a big audit firm as a 1st year associate; My salary is less than 40k per annum, w/o bonus. From what I just caught up so far on this thread, there are definitely plenty of 2013 SIM-UOL grad (my batch-mates) here earning way more than me.

No story man... I just got very lucky, I worked hard, and I met good people. Networking is very important. Most roles in the industry aren't even advertised on job portals. Many roles are created as and when they find suitable candidates internally or through recommendation.

Actually, I do not really think many of the stuff shared here are too far-fetched from what I had gathered so far with some people I know. Of course, those are a rarity, that's why they post here: Survivalship bias. I will admit this, if I felt that I am not in a good place now, I wouldn't post here.