Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - (Shipping) Letter of Appointment next week. What now?
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by livehighlivemightily View Post
Hi all~

Xiao Di here has been working in the retail sector for sometime while studying for my private degree. I loved my job but I didn't like the prospects. Know of colleagues that have worked for decades and still do not see themselves close to a 5 figure salary bracket.

Put a lot of thought in my career, did a lot of research into how a book dumb bum like me can succeed in life.

Finally decided to go into the shipping line. After all, it's recovering from a huge slump in 2009 and prospects are looking okay for the next few years. Xiao Di thinks that if I work smart, and hard, with luck, I may be able to make some in roads into the chartering/brokering trade.

Long story short, I secured a position as a, in my opinion, saikang warrior at a small local shipping firm/agent.

Job duties will likely be ship husbandry related.

Can any kind soul provide advice for Xiao Di to work on as he seeks a fresh start in an alien industry? Networking? Necessary knowledge? Things to look out for in letter of appointment?

Gamxia
if u want people to advise then u should just say what kind of role this is. title? job scope?

having experience in an ops role doesn't pave the way for u to become a broker like u mentioned.