Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - When should I start searching for a new job?
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2014, 12:33 AM

verselines is on a distinguished road
Exclamation When should I start searching for a new job?

I am a local uni grad. Second upper general degree.

My first job was a 6 months contract job in my dream field that was 'supposed' to be converted to perm according to the HR manager who made me the offer. But right after I joined the company they had management changes and I was not converted to perm staff in the end.

After that I was jobless for 2 months, and my morale was really low. Applied to various civil service and private sector jobs and only got 3 interviews. Out of those, only got one pte sector offer, and I was quite desperate so I took it up because the pay and leave was pretty good.

I am only 1 month into the job now and I already know I don't want to stay here long term. I simply hate the actual job scope, and there is not much room for progression...even my managers are doing the same job as me, just that they have a few added responsibilities. The worst thing is I felt they misrepresented the amount of shift and weekend work I had to do. I don't mind sticking it out for a while, but I am set on moving on to another job eventually.

I don't mind 'burning bridges' because I don't want to stay in this industry. I'm just wondering how long should I wait before I start looking for a new job. Will it be unwise to start applying for jobs after just a few months because my potential employers will not view it in a positive light?

Ps. sorry for the long winded post and thanks for reading

Last edited by verselines; 14-05-2014 at 12:37 AM.