Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - LSE Economics or NTU Accountancy and Business
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 12:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstars View Post
Hello all,

I am in some dire need of advice, because I feel rather lost and confused about my future.

I got an offer from LSE Economics. I originally intended to go on a scholarship, but didn't manage to secure a govt scholarship. I am now left with the options of going LSE self-financed and to stay local and study a double degree in Accountancy and Business at NTU.

Going to LSE will cost about 150K - 200K, and my family isn't super rich, just the typical heartlander family staying in HDB 5-room.

Can anyone tell me the career prospect of an LSE graduate? People kept telling me "oh you can go into investment banking and earn a lot of money", but honestly speaking, isn't it very tough to get into the good front office roles?

I will only go to LSE if I know that the future career prospect is great, and it is worth the initial investment in school fees. Any advice from you guys who are already working and know more information?

Thank you!
Go to LSE! I am studying in the UK now. Almost everyone that I know who is averaging a first class have a summer internship with a BB front office firm. 20% of the econs student in LSE gets a first class. I am not sure what is the percentage for NTU but I can guarantee that it would be a lot harder. If you want to do investment banking, the choice is pretty clear IMO. Every year JP morgan front office in London has 40-50 places. In Singapore, probably 1-2. You might think that there is a larger pool of applicants in UK. However, IB only recruit from 5 schools in the UK, thus the actual pool is a lot smaller and thus it is relatively easier to get a top job than in Singapore.

Though it would really depend on you family finances. If they still can afford, I would think it is a worthwhile investment. Speak to your seniors, I believe they can give very good advice. Look at linkedin profiles of LSE Econs Singaporean students.