Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't see how the logic point to the fact that he can retire just because he may have higher net worth at this point than his peers. Whether or not he can retire should be based on the kind of lifestyle he aspires to lead in retirement.

I think each generation is different. Our parents' generation (those in their 70s and above) may be contented just to see their children grow up and have their own families, and for themselves to step back and lead simple routine lives. Day in, day out doing the same boring stuff. For them, $2k - $3k a month for a couple should be comfortable.

For our generation, expectations would be higher. We are more exposed to the world at large, having travelled widely, some even studied overseas, have maids to clean up after us, have cars and hobbies, attended concerts, plays, and electronic gadgets to occupy our time. I can't imagine we can just switch back to a boring routine lifestyle upon retirement. And some more for many years at that, just whiling away the time waiting for time's up.

In my retirement, I would still want a car, a maid to tidy up the house and cook, attend concerts and performances, continue to play my tennis games, golf with my kakis and manage my stocks and property investments. This will make my retirement meaningful and make me look forward to each waking day. For this lifestyle I estimated I would need around $8k a month or $100k pa. I would need 2 more years to establish my passive income stream to reach $100k pa from the current $70k pa.
I think you are just boasting your lifestyle here. If money is not enough, what's there to talk about lifestyle?