Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

I always start by looking at the cash flow situation first. With very limited info that you provided (for eg. You did not say if you have kids, if so how old they are, any other dependents like parents etc), I can only provide a very rough assessment.

Looking at your cash flow my initial thoughts were that your savings is very dismal, but then again your annual expense of $107k is quite typical of families staying in a condo, with a jap car. And you also do not have any other income from investment or business. So that means limited upside to savings unless you drastically cut down your expenses or hope for big jump in salaries.

You need to begin thinking about where your retirement cash flow will come from once your salary stopped. As long as your assets are not generating cash flow, they are not helping you once you have no more employment income. My point is your total net worth is meaningless until you start making it provide you the money for your daily needs.

For eg. you cannot touch your CPF SA account till you are 65. When you reach 55, the required amount for CPF SA account would probably be $250k per person or $500k for both of you. And then there is the MA account which also cannot be "touched" except for medical expenses. This MA account for both of you combined could probably be $200k when you are 55. That means you cannot touch a total of $700k in your CPF account!

Then you want to stay in your condo. No matter much it appreciated, it is not generating cash flow for as long as you are staying in it.

Finally what you have available for you to live on will be your CPF OA and your cash. With $34k savings pa, in 10 years, you are looking at $340k savings. At $60k pa expense, this amount will be gone in 6 years.

The prognosis is you cannot stay in your condo when you retire. You need to downgrade to free up the needed cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
45/47
$141k pa combined
Savings, $34k pa
Condo, worth $1.4m, paid up
Japanese car, paid up
Total net worth, $1.8m

Gurus, how can we retire?
Do we need to downgrade?
We love living in a condo
Pls help advise