Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on choosing between A*star and Lonza
View Single Post
Old 25-04-2014, 10:41 PM

ayujob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Seems like you have set your mind on Lonza (if offered), and either way has pros and cons.

Just curious, what's the travel time like between your home and Lonza vs Astar? Because I think travelling time should be put into consideration as well.

As to stalling the signing of contract, sorry I have no advise on that. I've read that after signing, if you do not show up on the 1st day, you are by right still not bonded by the contract. Not sure how accurate this is but nonetheless, I don't think you would want to try it.
For a one way trip, Lonza should take like around 30min more than A*star. I'm pretty much okay with travelling time and am really prioritizing on the prospects instead here. Because of the shift work, my travelling time to Lonza on average is less than A*star since technically I work much lesser days in Lonza than A*star. I really want to work in a company where there is a ladder to climb instead of some positions whereby promotions are determined by academic qualifications.

I think you are right on the part about not showing up on first day of work but I am definitely not doing that as I would really mess up the whole situation. Thus, I have stalled A*star on the contract signing and will try to explain my situation to Lonza during the interview to request for offer asap if they accept me. My friend actually did the same thing in Lonza and he got an offer the next day after the interview.

Thank you once again for your input, I'm in a really weird situation right now because of my own fault but hopefully I will be able to get the Lonza job and smoothen things out.