Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on choosing between A*star and Lonza
View Single Post
Old 25-04-2014, 06:21 AM

ayujob is on a distinguished road

Hi there, thank you so much for your input and experience.

*An update on the situation, Lonza called me for an interview and said it will take at least around 2 weeks to get the results. I have already told A*star I will be signing their contract next week and my Lonza interview is most likely next week as well.

The thing about A*star right now that I really don't like is the 5.5 days work week compared to the "work 2 days off 2 days policy" by Lonza since the position at Lonza as a manufacturing biotech is to do shift works which is the part that helps pay much more than what A*star is offering me. So technically Lonza requires me to work 3.5 days per week versus A*star's 5.5 work days. At the very same time, I am very concerned with the prospects of each company. Since Lonza's position allows me to climb up the management level such as section/department manager, I am sure it will definitely pay more than A*star a few years down the road as A*star most likely promotes according to qualifications and the highest I can reach in there with a degree is Senior Research Officer.

I will go more indepth with the difference in pay of both companies so that hopefully I can get more advice from you lovely and helpful people. A*star as I mentioned is giving 3.1k, Lonza will give around 3.1k(including transport allowance), however they add premium bonus monthly if shift work is involved, like 400 additional for day shifts, 700 additional for night shifts, OT is payable in Lonza and not in A*star.

So I really need advice on how to stall the signing of contract for A*star and hopefully get news fast from Lonza after my interview next week. I already emailed A*star and asked when is the latest they require me to start work and if its possible to sign on the first working day as well.

Once again, thank you all very much and I greatly appreciate all the help I can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

just to share my 2cents.

I started working in Wyeth Pharmaceuticals in Feb 2002 as a Management trainee after graduating overseas. Working hours are pretty standard from 8.30am - 5.30pm but work life as management trainee sucks big time as I need to attend 3 management meetings per week and minutes taking is really time consuming and tedious.

After 5 months, I throw in the towel and moved on to a hands-on engineer role in A*STAR Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology. The pay increment in A*STAR is pathetic at the time of post-911 and SARS. Bonuses are generally not that fantastic, typically with the good performers getting the most 1.75 months bonus. You will receive your usual 13th month AWS. After staying for 3 years and 2 months, I move on to teach in a polytechnic and my pay jump as public service tends to tag your pay according to years of experience + NS.

Since then, I have made my tours in govt agencies and govt linked company and after 10 years, i decide to move out into the private sector. My monthly basic salary has went up as much as 35% (based on last drawn salary in govt) after 2.5 years of private sector work life.

My advise to you is to take on the A*STAR role and used that Research officer role as a stepping stone to move out to something different after 3 years or so.