Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Need advice on choosing between A*star and Lonza
View Single Post
Old 23-04-2014, 05:59 AM

ayujob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My advise is to accept the current offer too, because you'll never know if Lonza will give you an offer. Only when Lonza offers you a position, then you decide on your next move.

Is the condition at NCC really bad such that you're considering to leave after 6 months? Because if NCC is your first job, my advise is to stay a year or 2 at least, else you'll look like a job hopper.

Considering long term, my advise is to try to shift out of life sciences/biotechnology. Because it is true what they say, without a PhD, you cannot go far. Plus the industry does not pay very well compared to other industries. I'm a life science graduate myself.
Yeah, NCC is really pretty bad right now. Our lab's turnover rate is high because of low pay and high amount of work days, some of my colleagues work 20 days in a row sometimes. You are right on the part that life science or particularly research area itself doesn't pay well if you dont have phD. That is why I'm really hoping to get Lonza since my friend whose already working in there told me of the prospects that they can climb up the management level without phD. I think the highest I can go if I stay in research is a senior research officer and not in any management level positions(which pays more).

If you dont mind, may I ask what job are you currently doing right now? I'm also hoping to shift out of life science.