Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 17-04-2014, 12:54 AM
Unregistered

Hi,

I believe we are heading for a property correction of some sort, if anything 15 - 25% correction would not surprise me.

You taking the right step by offloading your properties now, that said the market is already starting to soften and a lot by looks of it. I could be wrong but I would be surprise if you can clear 15% profit on your initial purchase price. The issue with new properties is that developers would have priced in most of the gains leaving little room for profit except the usual TOP then sell gains which works mainly in a exuberant market. I wish you all the best for your sale.

Moving into a terrace would definitely benefit in terms of space and family (landed properties are rubbish in terms rental yield anyway). But this will mean you have a non income performing asset which will cost you in terms in servicing interest, you will have to weigh if the rental yield from the HDB is sufficient to offset the interest charge of your loan obligations (assuming interest rates < 3%). But keeping the HDB as a last resort in case things go south is probably something also worth considering.

If you are going to rely on your job for wealth building I suggest you should track your expenditure and analyze where you money goes, setup some goals to hit and cut your expenses until you achieve them? I can't say this for certain but I have doubts your property investment approach and if they can offer you solid gains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well analysed.

Let me address your questions:

a) you are not the first to suggest that our networth is on the low side given the income levels. I don't have a good explanation for it, as my wife and I are really quite frugal and spend each dollar carefully. My suspicion is (i) age - as we are still relatively young, we did not have enough time to build up networth; (ii) our income stream for the past 5 years is not constant. In 2008, our combined income was only $350K and our savings level was also lower then.

b) breakdown of my 3 invt properties: (i) freehold D11 condo just TOP, actively marketing for sale now; (ii) freehold condo in Raffles Place / Tanjong Pagar area under construction, TOP 2017; (iii) leasehold terrace house which I plan to move in next year to be nearer kids school. After I move in, will decide whether to rent out or sell my HDB. Each of the properties in the region of $2m.

c) agree with your analysis of overseas property so looking carefully at them now but not in a rush to buy anything.

d) I agree that $10-15m cash would be ideal, but given my spending patterns would be happy with $5m anytime.

@3937