Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Phd, DBa or MBA?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Phd Wannabe View Post

I spoke to an academic in NUS and strange as it may sound, it was put forth that they were more interested in advancing theories and refuting established ones rather than finding on ways to commercialize ideas, which I am more keen on. More "academic" rather than "practical" if I may say.
Hi PhD Wannabe,

It's a route (of sorts) that NTU and NUS are embarking on where they want to focus more on academia (hence, publications and theorizing) rather than applied or 'practical' research. Which would also explain why they tend to hire people with PhDs rather than DBA. Competition is rather tough now in terms of hiring, so if you want to be hired by either university as a professor on tenure track, you need to have a few publications in top journals as well as (preferably) a PhD from a prestigious overseas university.

Having said that, I understand that SMU has a slightly different career progression path where the professors can opt to focus more on teaching rather than publishing papers and research. That track is called the practical professor track ( I think).

Alternatively, since you are in the IT sector, you might want to consider doing a PhD in information studies at NTU's communications school. They focus quite a bit more on 'practical' research compared to the business PhDs.

Hope this helps somewhat.