Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 29-03-2014, 08:11 AM
Unregistered

I disagree with your disagreement. It is not surprising why you disagree as you are one of those who benefits from the current policy. People like you who are rich high earners should not hoard HDB flats as the flats are meant for the poor and lower income groups. If you want to invest in property, then you should sell your HDB flat and buy another condo. HDB flats are NOT meant for investment but for owner occupation.

If you do lose your job, and you don't have a HDB flat, you can always sell away your condo and buy a resale HDB flat. For instance if your condo is worth $3m, you can sell and get $3m cash and then buy a $200k resale 2 room HDB flat. You can then survive on the $2.7m cash. You can even retire on the $2.7m cash or you can drive a taxi and earn $5k a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I disagree. I live in a condo and also own a HDB flat bought direct from the HBD. This flat is being rented out, providing me a passive income and soon a retirement income. I pay 5-digit income tax every year on my employment income & rent and get practically nothing back from the government since I am single.

The hbd flat that I have bought is probably the only tangible benefit from all the years of paying huge income taxes. So why should I be forced to return or sell my hbd flat then ?
If I lose my job tomorrow, I can rent or sell my condo and move back to my HDB flat. I don't expect the government to take care of me when I get retrenched. I have to make my own contingency plan.

The problem with some Singaporeans is this loser whining attitude : things are not fair, we want the government to intervene. This is real life. No one owes u a living. Compete or be condemned.