Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 20-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Unregistered

Everyone says they will try, or they will work harder, but do they have a plan? Dreaming and talking are easy.

So what would be your approach / roadmap?

Working hard in the same job with same pay makes no sense. The rich derive their income from a number of sources - investment income, capital gains and lastly wages.

But if you and spouse are both working and are professionals (eg lawyers, accountants or even in engineering field) achieving $5m net worth by 50 is doable. Investing in property will certainly help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Cool. Being debt free and retiring so young is the new status symbol. I'm inspired by you, I will work doubly hard from now on so that I can pay off all my loans and build up my stocks investment portfolio to give me a passive income of at least $100k pa.

My condo loan is left with $500k mortgage. To generate a passive income of $100k pa, I will need about $2m in stocks portfolio value (assuming 5% dividend yield). So, I need to pay down the $500k mortgage outstanding and save $2m before I can retire at 50. Not easy, but I will try my best.