Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much savings do you have?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Unregistered

everything in my last posting is true.

My HDB is in Bishan, bought in year 2000 for around $4xxK, resale. At the time my wife and I have started work for only 2 years and had to borrow $20K from our parents for the down payment. Combined salary then was slightly lower than $8k which was the cap.

Through aggressive savings along the way, and fortunate to be both working in the financial sector and with salary increases, got to where we are. Every cent earned was blood and tears.

Having said that, we don't think of ourselves as "real" millionaires, we take the mrt to work (car is red-plated, only drive on weekends), go to neighbouring countries for holiday, eat at foodcourt / hawker centre, etc. We are just your normal HDB heartlanders who want to earn a decent living and hope for a better life for the next generation.

We do count ourselves fortunate to be in a fairly comfortable financial position, and take effort to give back through donations and other means (but not to the extent of selling my flat and donating the whole sum).

A lot of what we achieved it through the lessons thought in the book, The Millionaire Next Door, where we strive to be frugal but not miserly.

It's up to readers here whether they choose to believe what I said. If you think our situation is good, I can tell you there are many financial services folks who earn much more than me and are equally (or more) nondescript.