Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - In need of career advice (Fresh Grad)
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 03:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustix View Post
The military is willing to cover the expenses for my undergraduate studies through the SAF local study award scheme. It is a very enticing amount in all and I would be lying if i said that money wasn't a factor in thinking of signing on, on top of the job security the military provides. However, I am trying to force myself to look at the long-term gains as I have no desire to get stuck at a certain rank after some number of years. With that said, it seems to be difficult to enter the O&G industry at this point in time given the tough competition plus the fact that I am not a chemical engineer. I have not yet been offered an interview with any O&G companies yet with the exception of Shell even with my strong resume after weeks of applications.

I have another question though, do only refining companies such as Shell/Exxon pay well? How about the oilfield services companies such as schlumberger/Aibel or even the tech support companies such as FMC and Foster Wheeler?
btw how strong is your resume? 1st class? Relevant industry intern/experience? have to give more information to get help.

Sometime is not your grades. Is the way you present your resume. 1st class is not an auto select for competitive industries and positions. they look for stuff that makes you stand out such as leadership, out of box thinking and self motivation. Writing a good cover letter is also important. Must be able to link your resume to what they are searching for. Show that you have done your research on the relevant companies. Show interest in the job.

anyway you got an interview with shell so that's a good start. I have friends that work in offshore oil rig with triple E background without even a first class. So it is definitely possible to break into this industry without a chem eng degree.