Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - In need of career advice (Fresh Grad)
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 02:07 AM

rustix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
are you a guy or a girl? surely u shld know something about military career if you're a guy. and since you're a graduate, how is it possible to sign on as a local scholar? isn't scholarship for pre-uni students?
The military is willing to cover the expenses for my undergraduate studies through the SAF local study award scheme. It is a very enticing amount in all and I would be lying if i said that money wasn't a factor in thinking of signing on, on top of the job security the military provides. However, I am trying to force myself to look at the long-term gains as I have no desire to get stuck at a certain rank after some number of years. With that said, it seems to be difficult to enter the O&G industry at this point in time given the tough competition plus the fact that I am not a chemical engineer. I have not yet been offered an interview with any O&G companies yet with the exception of Shell even with my strong resume after weeks of applications.

I have another question though, do only refining companies such as Shell/Exxon pay well? How about the oilfield services companies such as schlumberger/Aibel or even the tech support companies such as FMC and Foster Wheeler?