Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Rich kids do better
View Single Post
Old 19-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
On a related note... I was just talking to my girlfriend about the subjects that we used to take in school last time.

She lamented that she never had a good science teacher who knew how to pepper the lessons with interesting real life examples of applications but instead made them memorise formulas and definitions... That killed off whatever little interests in science tat she had...

Then I remembered facing the same situation with literature and languages...

Oh well. Our conclusion was that... if you were rich and could afford to find a good tutor... it would have made a hell lot of difference... Unfortunately I was an orphan and and prospective father in law just another HDB heartlander...
Agree. Poor kids will need some luck to get good teachers or good classmates who can inspire them and spur them on to great heights. I had the good fortune of having some great teachers and classmates when I was in school. Otherwise I would have been just another mediocre student. But I did have a small share of bad luck - my bad chemistry teacher killed my interest in Sec 3/4 and I had to give up my dream (at that time) of becoming a doctor.