Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Unregistered

If you are already feeling shame at this juncture, I think going forward no hope. By the way, the shame is not just on you, but on your wife as well. Dont just think of yourself.

Here is why:

Right now, in your 40s, you still have some time to try and earn more. And your wife, at late 30s, and from her income of $110k, I guess that she is probably at lower-middle management level. If she is in technical line, she would be like a senior engineer. At this level, she and you would not feel any pressure when you attend her company functions. She is after all a junior level staff.

If your wife gets promoted to manager level or higher, and you still havent improved your situation, then it will be really tough not just you, but for her as well. Those company functions where spouses have to attend will really be awkward for both you. But at this stage, I guess both of you would have devised some cover stories. A common one would be that you are in business - just starting up etc.. But with all lies, you have keep adding more lies and you will not feel good about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am ashamed to share this but here goes. I'm in my early 40s and I only earn $50k pa. My wife, who is a grad in her late 30s earns $110k. I feel ashamed but she has no problem with me earning less. We are contented staying in our 4 room HDB flat. She loves me dearly for being a good husband and loving father. I make up for my low income by doing more of the household chores and tuitioning the kids. While I had tried upgrading my skills, my earnings is somehow limited in my field of work. To do a degree full time make not be the best thing to do as I may be overqualified and may actually not be employed after that. I started learning to invest in stocks in my free time.