Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 14-02-2014, 09:51 AM

darkstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys,

Sorry to hijack this thread, as this seems to be the most active thread with many experienced professionals.

I'm 32 yrs old, worked for 7 yrs in the finance sector. Last year i made about $110k all in. Right now i'm getting into the phase of moving into my new house and family planning.

My question is for someone my age and salary level, is it too late for me to do a Masters degree? Im thinking of pursuing a part time Masters to further improve my financial knowledge. However im worried that I might not have enough time for my family if I have children as a part time Masters typically will require 2 years of commitment after work and weekends..

Is a Masters worth it?

Appreciate any thoughts/advice!
Hello,

I am about 4 years younger than you but have spent 4 years in the private education industry, so i have seen a lot of cases like yours before.

of course, the advice I give might not necessarily be relevant to your situation, as each individual's circumstances are different.

In taking a masters, you can consider the following:

1) ROI
2) Commitment on time
3) commitment on money

if you take a masters, would it translate into higher pay/promotion prospects/career development for you? I am not sure what your job is but you can check your seniors to see what they think. If career development is important to you, choose a good uni.

early 30s to late 30s is actually the right time to do a masters but even a part-time degree will take a lot of time, so do be prepared to make that sacrifice.