Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Should I start from a System Analyst?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatus View Post
I am a fresh graduate from a local uni. I did a degree in comp sci. I think I would enjoy having a job as a system analyst. But I have heard from people that I should not start my career being a system analyst because most senior analysts need to have a few years of implementation experience and I won't be able to advance my career if I begin with a non-technical job. Also, most of the skills learnt in an entry level system analyst role are not transferable. They said I will not get enough technical experience from being a system analyst, and I should start as a software engineer. Even though I can code, I know I'm not cut out to be a software engineer. My intuition tells me so. I will eventually switch to an analyst role, perhaps a senior analyst after a few years in development.

Is it true that I should not start with a non-technical job? Should I really start out being a programmer before transiting to a system analyst? Would being a programmer first really help to advance my career as an analyst?
i don't think as fresh grad you can afford to be choosy. apply whatever interests you, interview with whoever interviews you and then evaluate your options.

if you can even start in an unwanted role like system analyst in big brand name companies like jpmorgan or microsoft, you can go anywhere where you want to, later on.